Monday, September 15, 2014

Guardian Wilderness DEET-Free Bug Repellent Review!


My whole life I've always hated bug spray. As a kid my mom would douse me in OFF bug repellent during soccer games or any time I played outside, and it was terrible. I've always resorted to just avoiding bug spray and having to swat away bugs myself, but that just leaves me annoyed and covered in mosquito bites. Though it sucked, I still didn't want to coat my skin in greasy bug repellent, especially when it contains DEET. Most bug repellents contain DEET, which is a chemical that prevents bugs from eating you alive. Using it topically has been debated over for quite a while. 100% DEET has been proven capable of melting plastic, but is said to be safe when used in smaller amounts. It is very effective in preventing bug bites, but I don't feel safe putting chemicals on my skin that could be potentially dangerous. 

Guardian has developed a healthy alternative to DEET bug sprays, using plant based ingredients to keep bugs away. It even claims to work more effectively than bug sprays containing 15% DEET. I wasn't sure how effective this bug spray would be, but honestly I am so satisfied! When applied, it doesn't sit on your skin or leave any greasy residue. The only way you would know that it's there is because of the smell. It does smell slightly strong, but that's kind of expected with bug repellents. However, it doesn't smell like chemicals. Whenever I spray it, It doesn't make me cough and turn my head like bug sprays tend to do. This spray almost smells herbal, and some might not like the scent but I honestly find it comforting. I first used this while tanning just to see how effective it is, and after an hour I was left with no bug bites! It was nice being able to lay out without swatting at my legs every few minutes. This formula is said to last 8 hours though, so to test it more accurately I used it at a family cookout. I was outside from 5:30-11:00 and the entire time I didn't get bit. A few family members were complaining of mosquitoes and I gladly shared this bug spray with them, leaving everyone able to enjoy our family time without worrying about pests. If you're looking for an effective bug spray with safe ingredients, I'd check this out. You can find this on Amazon for 6.99 with free shipping after a 25$ purchase. 

I was provided this product for testing purposes by Influenster, but this did not in any way affect my opinions on the product. They only asked that I provide my honest opinion, negative or positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment